Hi! I’m Jon. I do a bunch of different stuff.
Secret Lab is a game dev studio based in Hobart, Australia. Paris Buttfield-Addison and I have been running the joint since 2008. Practically everything you see on this page was done through the company.
We frequently run iOS developer training, which have been pretty well received by attendees!
Also! Our next training will be held in Melbourne, on 25-27 August.
Open Source Software
- Yarn Spinner
- Yarn Spinner is a tool for creating interactive dialogue.
- I helped on Night in the Woods, where I wrote and supported the implementation of the Yarn Spinner dialogue system.
I’m a frequent author for O’Reilly Media, where I’ve written a number of technical books. I mostly write about mobile app development, but I’m also known to write about video games. I usually write with my colleagues, Paris Buttfield-Addison and Tim Nugent.
- Learning Swift (on the latest Swift/iOS/macOS)
- The Kerbal Player’s Guide (on Kerbal Space Program)
- Designing Games that People Want to Play (on Safari)
- Getting Started with Game Development in Unity (on Safari)
- Developing 3D Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Creating 2D Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Creating First-Person-Shooter (FPS) Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Creating 3D VR Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Creating Narrative Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Just Enough Game Art (on Safari)
- Getting Your Game Out There (on Safari)
Several of our courses are available as Learning Paths, available exclusively on O’Reilly’s Safari Books Online service.